Estate planning attorneys know how to guide clients so the goals for their money and assets actualize. But what does the general public know about estate planning, and what kind of questions do they ask?
In “What You Need To Know Before You Go: Financial/Legal Issues,” expert advisors discuss end-of-life issues related to estate planning, financial planning, and aging-in-place. The panel discussion was one event in the inaugural Before I Die ABQ Festival. Over six days, 600 attendees participated in 22 different conversation-starting events all around Albuquerque.
The panelists are:
- Jim Plitz, estate planning attorney, Morris Hall PLLC (an AAEPA-affiliated firm);
- Steve Margulin, CFP, CPA, Retirement Extender;
- Tracy Ahr, tax and estate planning attorney with Express Legal Solutions and Lasting Legacy, LLC.
- The moderator of the panel is Gail Rubin, CT, a death educator who is also the event coordinator of the Before I Die ABQ Festival.
The questions attendees posed to the panelists include:
- When should adults start estate and financial planning?
- Is a Power of Attorney responsible for paying someone’s bills?
- Does community property go away when you die?
- Are you responsible for your spouse’s debts upon death?
- What do you look for in an executor/personal representative?
- How do trust companies and the trust divisions of banks charge for their services to settle an estate?
- If you have assets titled as “Transfer on Death,” do you still need a will?
- What’s the starting cost for a will?
- How does an adult child’s divorce affect his/her inheritance?
- Is inherited property in a marriage community property?
- Should an adult child/beneficiary get their own attorney to plan for an inheritance?
- Do you have to do probate when someone dies?
The 43-minute panel discussion covers these questions and other aspects of estate planning, inheritances, finances, and family issues. Watch the video online: https://youtu.be/qQ298zuapxU
Gail Rubin, CT – author, speaker, journalist and death educator – connects with baby boomers using humor, funny films and a light touch on serious subjects. A Certified Thanatologist, her seminars on clearing clutter and organizing for end-of-life issues always get high marks! Download a free 50-point Executors Checklist featured in her latest book KICKING THE BUCKET LIST: 100 Downsizing and Organizing Things to Do Before You Die from www.AGoodGoodbye.com.
Academy Guest Blogger
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
Latest posts by Gail Rubin (see all)
- Going Beyond Lunch and Learn Community Outreach Events - May 2, 2019
- Do You Know About These Death Discussion Movements? - February 14, 2019
- “Before I Go” Book Review - September 17, 2018