While online marketing has evolved tremendously over the last several years, email marketing continues to be one of the most inexpensive and effective online marketing tools available. It allows you to connect with your target audience, building relationships with clients and prospects in a personalized way, at an affordable cost.
According to Hubspot, the inbound marketing software platform, there’s a lot of data validating the benefits of email marketing campaigns:
- 74% of Baby Boomers think email is the most personal channel to communicate with brands.
- 99% of consumers check their email every day
- 59% of respondents say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions
- Email marketing averages a return of $42 on every $1 spent, which is an astounding 4,200% return on investment
Email marketing has many significant advantages for law firms that incorporate this form of marketing into their efforts to reach clients online. It’s less costly and less time consuming than other forms of marketing, and it allows law firms to reach customers with more timely and relevant messaging. Here are 5 tips for improving your email marketing campaigns:
- Build a clean email list that’s segmented into categories such as clients, prospects, business connections. Learn more about how to build a solid email marketing list that converts.
- Subject lines can make or break your email campaign. In fact, 47% of recipients will open your email based solely on the subject line.
- Use odd and specific numbers
- Convey urgency
- Offer value or benefit right away
- Have a call to action
- Use lower case words
- Test use of symbols and emojis. A study by Experian found that subject lines with emojis increased open rates by 56%
- Don’t use spammy words, all caps, or excessive punctuation
- Personalize your messages. Emails with personalized messages have a 32.7% better response rate than those that don’t personalize their messages. The data suggests using a first name in the greeting and adding a personal detail or two in the body can really pay off.
- Include a strong call to action (CTA). Offering something exclusive or of value often entices recipients to open an email and take action.
- Some studies suggest that Tuesday is best day of the week to send a marketing email and Thursday is the second best, preferably at 10am. However, you’ll want to track your data to see if the same holds true for your campaigns. By analyzing your own data, you can find which days/times work best for
Bonus Tip: Track campaign performance. By analyzing the days and times you send emails, along with subject lines, topics, CTAs, and types of campaigns, you can discover what and when your recipients really want to hear from you.
Email marketing is all about experimenting with different tactics and figuring out what works best for your law firm. Optimize your subject lines, copy, send days/times, and everything else. Then, test, re-test, and analyze your results. With all the emails landing in our inbox each day, it’s really difficult to stand out, but implementing these best practices could be the difference between being ignored and retaining a new client.
Director, Web & Online Marketing Services
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Selecting The Best Law Firm Domain - August 4, 2022
- How to Alienate Your Prospects in 5 Easy Steps - July 7, 2022
- How Google’s Latest Update Impacts Your Law Firm Website - June 2, 2022