I spent an hour or so talking to an attorney who focuses on Pet Planning. She is quite successful in her efforts and I wanted to know more about how she attracted such a great flow of business. There were no huge secrets in what she had to say:
- Be passionate about the pet niche or any other niche you are making an effort to serve. Be clear about what the estate planning challenges, needs and solutions are for the niche. It’s also very important to identify exactly what it is about the niche that causes you to connect to the needs people in that niche are worried about.
- Connect with referral sources. In the case of the Pet Niche, are you making the professionals who work at the Humane Society, training or grooming providers or Rescue Shelters easier in some way. Find something that you do, that could take a little of their load off and provide it. Help them understand what you do. Ultimately, in addition to referrals, they can feature you as a guest speaker on the estate planning topic that they need to hear more about.
- Go back through your existing clients and educate them on this new or renewed focus you have for the niche you’re passionate about.
- Make the topic part of your consultation. Look at your Client Intake Forms and customize a corner or add a few questions about whether this prospective client has a pet, how many, what kind, how old are they, what’s the plan for them down the road… you’re guaranteed to find the person lights up and talks more about their pets than they often do their children!
Let your prospective clients, clients and centers of influence catch a glimpse of what you find important. Be human and take an extra moment to share a SMALL bit about why it is you have such a soft spot for the same thing they do.
Chief Operating Officer
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
Latest posts by Jennifer Price (see all)
- Christmas in June - May 23, 2019
- Hire Slow, Fire Fast is Only One of the Secrets to Building A Great Team - February 7, 2019
- Take a Peek into Our Boot Camp to Success - January 17, 2019