What age group is spending the most time online outside of work? If you think Millennials is the group spending the most time online (outside of work) – you would be WRONG! It’s Baby Boomers, those aged 51-69, that are now the power users.
More than half of the boomers (51%) are now online more than 15 hours per week.
According to the “2015 State of the User Experience” Report released today by Limelight Networks, Inc., time spent online in the past year has dramatically increased – with 45 percent of respondents spending more than 15 hours a week on their laptop, tablet or phone.
What does this mean for those of you using seminars to generate new prospects?
Today’s most successful seminar marketers are integrating social media and digital marketing to bolster and support their seminar marketing investments.
Here are some things to keep in mind as you work to integrate online marketing with your direct marketing:
- Content, not e-commerce, rules the day: DO NOT TRY TO SELL ANY OF YOUR SERVICES DIRECTLY ONLINE! Why? According to this survey, respondents listed “social media sites,” “reading news content” and “watching video content” as their top three online activities, respectively, while “reading news content” was the most popular in 2014. E-commerce finished in 5th place, behind researching products online. There is no question — users are consuming content more than shopping online.
Your content should reflect and support the information you share during your seminars. Given the pace and quantity of new and updated Estate Planning-related information available, I recommend that you review that information on a weekly basis and post your personal insights. This will help position you as an Estate Planning professional with their “finger on the pulse” of the market and that you have a grasp of how that can impact a potential prospect’s financial and Estate plan.
- Promote your event online: Many of the most popular social media platforms (Facebook, Yelp, etc.) allow you to promote your seminars in your company’s account. Take advantage of this! Also, be sure to post your upcoming seminars on your firm’s website. If you take advantage of our Seminar Reservation service, you can post the reservation phone number and RSVP code for each campaign – this is a powerful way to capture reservations from new prospects.
- Video is key: Adding video content on your firm’s website and social media is a powerful way to share your perspective on the issues important to your clients and prospects.
There is no doubt in my mind, and this survey validates the fact, that your Estate Planning prospects rely on the internet and social media as a powerful source for information and education. By integrating online content into your seminar marketing mix, you can help drive response and attendance at your events.
Jorge Villar is President of RME360, with more than 26 years of direct marketing experience, he is known in several industries for his ability to create mail packages that garner the highest response rates. He is responsible for the Seminar Success program that for the last 17 years has accounted for more than 65% of the events being held in the nation, with over 17 million individuals making reservations. Mr. Villar has also been very successful marketing to physicians and business owners regarding Succession Planning and Asset Protection. RME360’s marketing programs are presently being utilized by over 10,000 clients, including: top producing financial advisors, estate planning attorneys, large financial organizations, health care organizations, franchises, universities and many other industries. Mr. Villar is a frequent key note speaker at national financial symposium and marketing training conferences.
Academy Guest Blogger
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555
- Frequency, Content, Creativity, Your Value Proposition and You - June 25, 2020
- New Seminar Invitation Helps You Brand and Grow Your Business - June 11, 2018
- Does It Matter Why Your Prospects Came to See You? - March 5, 2018