We’ve all seen the pictures and watched the video coverage of the devastation wrought by the tornadoes that tore through the Southeast on April 27. As of May 2, the death toll stood at approximately 349, with hundreds missing. Thousands more are injured, homeless, or without power or adequate water.
At times like this, we all want to help in any way we can. Here are four reputable organizations that are accepting donations and providing relief to the tornado victims:
- Salvation Army: The Alabama-Louisiana-Mississippi (ALM) division of the Salvation Army is providing food, beverage, and spiritual support to storm victims. If you want to help, the organization asks that you visit www.salvationarmyusa.org or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY and designate “April 2011 Tornado Outbreak.” You can also text the word “GIVE” to 80888.
- Red Cross: The Red Cross is operating 61 shelters in affected areas, as well as distributing hot meals, comfort kits, and clean up supplies to tornado victims. You can visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS to donate money, or you can text the word “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- Save the Children: Save the Children is delivering diapers, shoes, portable cribs, toys and other items to children in Tuscaloosa Alabama and Smithville, Mississippi. The organization is also working with the Gilmore Foundation to establish a Child-Friendly Spaces emergency child care program in Smithville Mississippi, a town that was destroyed by an EF-5 tornado. You can make a donation directly to Save the Children’s Southern US Tornado Children in Emergency Fund or donate $10 by texting “4TORNADO” to 20222.
- Catholic Charities: Catholic Charities affiliates are working with emergency responders and shelter providers to offer support and relief services to those affected by the storms. You can donate by visiting www.catholiccharitiesusa.org, calling 1-800-919-9938, or by sending a check designated “Spring 2011 Wildfires/Tornadoes” to Catholic Charities, Inc. 532 N. Broadway, Wichita, KS 67214.
After you’ve made your donation, there’s one more thing you can do: harness the power of social media and use Twitter or Facebook to let your friends and associates know how they can help, too.
Director of Member Services
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
6050 Santo Rd Ste 240
San Diego, CA 92124
Latest posts by Jennifer Price (see all)
- Hire Slow, Fire Fast is Only One of the Secrets to Building A Great Team - February 7, 2019
- Take a Peek into Our Boot Camp to Success - January 17, 2019
- Take a Peek into our Boot Camp to Success - July 9, 2018