Here’s an early heads-up about an opportunity to do well by doing good!
The next annual National Healthcare Decisions Day is Saturday, April 16, 2011.
This initiative is geared to educating the public about the importance of making one’s healthcare wishes known. The ABA and NAELA, along with other national legal organizations, have already joined the 3-year-old effort.
NHDD is a great opportunity to make yourself better known in your community as an expert on this topic by volunteering your services.
With about 5 months till NHDD 2011, there’s plenty of time to start doing any of the following:
- Talk to your NHDD state liaison about volunteer opportunities that may already exist for NHDD. To find your state liaison, email me (I’m a liaison for Pennsylvania), or click here for the list of participating organizations, then find the tab called “State Liaisons” (this latter approach is a little clunky, which is why I’m offering to forward it to you)
- Register with NHDD 2011 as a participant to show your support for this initiative. No money required. Just click here.
- Volunteer to speak about advance directives at a community group as part of NHDD activities. Hospitals are often the best place to start. But in addition, there’s your local AARP chapter, senior center, library, assisted living facility, churches and other religious organizations. Don’t forget to add it to your C.V. under community activities.
I’ll be mentioning this NHDD marketing opportunity again before next April, but I wanted to give you a head start now so you can get it on your marketing calendar and do some real planning.
Randi J. Siegel, MBA, is the President of DocuBank, the largest advance directive registry in the U.S., which ensures that the healthcare directives of its 175,000 enrollees are immediately available 24/7/365. Working with estate planning professionals since 1997, Randi frequently speaks at national estate planning conferences and has appeared on radio and television as an authority on registries. She is active in health policy pertaining to advance directives and serves as a Senior Fellow at the Jefferson School of Population Health in Philadelphia. Randi is an ongoing contributor to the Academy blog.
Academy Guest Blogger
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
6050 Santo Rd., Ste. 240
San Diego, CA 92124
Latest posts by Randi Siegel (see all)
- Voluntary Stopping Eating and Drinking: A New Frontier in Dementia Decision-Making - September 10, 2018
- Dementia-Specific Advance Directives: A Budding Trend - August 13, 2018
- Make the Most of NHDD Week, April 16-22 - April 9, 2018