Social Media is a powerful tool for marketing your law firm. Online marketing shouldn’t be limited to putting up a website and hoping people see it. Belonging to and being active on sites like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn can help you develop new connections and let potential clients get to know you.
If you have a LinkedIn account, here are a few tips for increasing the effectiveness of your presence:
- Pay attention to the “People You May Know” box on your LinkedIn homepage. This can be a valuable resource for expanding your connections.
- Use the Answers section to build your visibility on LinkedIn, and to establish yourself as an expert. You can find the Answers section by clicking on “More” at the top of your homepage. You can also use the section to get input from other members and build your connections by asking questions.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. A great way to do this is to not only ask for the recommendation, but offer to write it yourself. This takes the pressure off your contact, while at the same time allowing you to control the image of you that’s being projected.
- Take advantage of the “Export Connections” feature to send all the information about your LinkedIn connections to your address book. You can do this by going to your Connections page and scrolling to the bottom, where you’ll find the “Export Connections” icon. Doing this allows you to organize all of your contacts in one place, so they’re easy to find and stay in touch with.
- Don’t overlook the Learning Center (under “More” on your homepage). It has a wealth of information about LinkedIn’s features and how to use them. It also has a New User guide to help you get started if you’re new to the site.
If you haven’t already, it’s worth the time to explore LinkedIn for yourself, and take advantage of the opportunity it gives you to make valuable connections.
President & Co-Founder
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
6050 Santo Road, Suite 240
San Diego, CA 92124