Zapier is a web service that automates data flow between web apps, including MailChimp, Salesforce, Actionstep, Microsoft, and Google. Think of it as a bridge that can connect the various programs and tools that your law firm uses.
What this means is that you can create an automated “Zap” that is triggered by some event in a program (app), and then send information to a different app. Imagine building a Zap that triggers when a user completes a form on your web site and automatically sends you a Slack notification, that’s a simple Zap. Building Zaps is very easy, even for non-technical users, and is infinitely customizable.
Zapier has over 3,000 apps available. That’s right, 3,000 different programs that you can automatically integrate with each other! If you use an online calendar scheduling program like Calendly or HubSpot, you can create a Zap that triggers when someone schedules a meeting and creates a new contact in Outlook.
Most law firms get bogged down with manual, repetitive tasks, with staff having to enter data from one app into another, resulting in a waste of time and the possibility of human error. Using Zapier means you can connect the apps and pass the data automatically, saving time and increasing accuracy.
Law Firm Workflows
Zapier (fun fact, it was originally called Snapier!) does much more than simple trigger/actions. Workflows can be created that have multiple actions per trigger, and additional triggers can be created based on results of an action. You can even build branching workflows which can be triggered by the results of an action.
Zapier can make building your email list much more efficient. For instance, you have a MailChimp trigger setup so that when a new contact is entered in MailChimp, the contact is supposed to be added to your database. But instead of just an action to add the contact, there is first an action to check and see if the contact is already in the database. If the contact IS NOT in the database, it adds it and sends you an email that it has been added. If the contact IS in the database, it adds a note to the contact that they were added to Mailchimp and sends an email to you with the same information.
Other Zapier Integrations
Here at the Academy, we have been helping Members create zaps for various scenarios. Think of how many of these you could implement in your own law firm:
- Get instant notifications about new web form submissions via email or Slack so you can immediately follow up!
- Automatically send the information submitted on that web form to MailChimp to ensure you capture and add every lead to your marketing pipeline.
- Automatically migrate important prospect information from an intake form to your database. Here at the Academy, when a potential Estate Planning client submits a web form with their family member’s names, addresses, and other contact information, the Zap automatically adds those contacts to CounselPro™8, our custom estate planning software, creates a matter, and adds the contacts to that matter.
- Zap leads obtained from Facebook and other third-party platforms directly to Mailchimp, automatically adding those leads to automated email campaigns.
- Capture webinar registrations on your website and simultaneously add them as attendees of a webinar/seminar in your law firm database and Zoom, allowing you to send automated Zoom confirmations and reminders.
Zapier has a variety of plans available. Their free plan allows simple single-step Zaps and limits you to just 5 Zaps and 100 tasks a month. Other plans with additional features and limitations range from $19.99 to $49.00 for individual plans. They also have Team and Company plans.
The Academy understands the value and time saving benefits of Zapier. To help our Members increase productivity and improve efficiency, we are investing in a Zapier Company plan, which will enable us to create and maintain custom Zaps in one location. That also means our Members will not need to invest in their own Zapier account.
Zapier will allow you to simplify, improve, and automate many aspects of your law firm, saving you time, reducing costs, and keeping you agile as you grow your firm. For more information about creating Zapier Zaps for our Academy websites and related programs contact email@example.com.
Senior Technical Solutions, Training, and Product Manager
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Unlocking Efficiency: Maximizing Integrations for Seamless Law Firm Operations - July 20, 2023
- Improve Efficiency in Your Law Firm with Zapier - July 15, 2021
- CounselPro™ 8 Underused Features - February 18, 2021