The novel “coronavirus” (also called “SARS-CoV-2”) causes the disease “COVID-19.” It first appeared in late 2019 and was reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) on December 31, 2019. Here’s a link to the WHO’s site for the latest global information. COVID-19 has impacted the lives of millions of people and countless events around the world.
The Academy’s Summit is a semi-annual conference bringing the latest developments in Estate Planning and Elder Law to the many members of the American Academy. This Spring’s Academy Summit was scheduled to be held in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. However, as most of the United States has been in lockdown, a physical conference was no longer an option. Since the show must go on, the Academy kept the dates of the conference and moved it to a “virtual” Summit using Zoom meeting technology.
The Virtual Summit will bring the latest legal developments and practice management techniques to members of the Academy.
Here are the highlights of this Virtual Summit regarding substantive legal education:
Three sessions with a renowned expert on retirement benefits, Natalie Choate:
- Estate Planning for Retirement Benefits after SECURE: The New Planning Landscape and What to Do with Existing Plans…Plus CARES’ 2020 Suspension of RMDs and Virus-Related Distributions,
- IRA Mistakes and How to Fix Them, and
- Can You Roll Over in Your Grave
A great session regarding modifying trusts with Susan Bart:
- Is Any Trust Really Irrevocable Anymore: All About Decanting
A look at the new landscape in Estate Planning with Matthew Brady:
- Not Your Parents’ Estate Plan: Planning Considerations for Next-Gen Clients
Dave Zumpano will present two sessions regarding Medicaid at the Virtual Summit:
- SECURE Act and Medicaid, and
- Medicaid Crisis and Pre-Planning Opportunities in the Age of COVID-19
And I’ll be presenting on three topics at the Virtual Summit:
- Planning for Clients Without a Taxable Estate,
- Basics of Medicaid Planning: CSRA, MMMNA, DRA, and Other Terms You Need to Know, and
- Quiz Show: Solutions to Common Estate Planning Questions
In addition to the substantive legal sessions, Academy members will learn many tips regarding practice marketing and practice management.
Finally, one of the most important aspects of the Academy’s Summit, whether in person or virtual, is the camaraderie among the members.
I’m looking forward to the first “virtual” Summit.
We will get through this pandemic…together!
Stephen C. Hartnett, J.D., LL.M.
Director of Education
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Joint Tenancy Problems in Estate Planning - January 26, 2021
- Dynasty Trusts - January 19, 2021
- Biden Administration Could Reduce Estate Tax Exclusion - January 12, 2021