We’ve been preparing a webinar on how to find the right staff and build a great team. I’ve been collecting a lot of the recommendations we make for law firm owners to create and cultivate a team of A Players…. it’s not an easy job!
The topic of staffing ranks high on the list of topics that cause most law firm owners to cringe and some to bury their heads in the sand because they simply don’t know how to fix the problem if staffing isn’t going well.
What causes ONE law firm owner to have:
- A fabulous team
- Virtually NO turnover
- Staff that stays excited and educated on the area that they’re responsible
- A team that cares about the practice and each other
- Clients who love the staff
And another owner to have:
- Constant complaints about incompetent staff
- Employees who are late to work, miss deadlines
- People on staff who don’t look sharp and neither does much of the work they produce
- Frequent turnover… often they quit, other times they’re fired
Here’s a clue — it’s usually NOT the employee!
It’s the leader’s job to put systems in place that can make it possible for superstars to shine. Some of the common hurdles have to do with hiring a great employee and putting them in a situation that doesn’t work. Even the best employees can’t achieve what’s possible if there’s chaos and no processes.
Other hurdles include a law firm owner’s mindset about the actual hiring process. They want a warm body and they want that body to do certain things around the office. This is usually at the bottom of a bad hire.
The most successful firms search for the right personality in a person that has the right skills. They match a person to the culture they’re trying to create and sustain in their business. They want that person to grow and thrive. They provide structures, training, and motivation that creates an environment that people love being in.
There are just a handful of things the owner needs to look at that could make a world of difference. We also have a “Report Card” / Checklist that will be part of this upcoming webinar.
Look for an invitation to attend the webinar in the coming month or so.
Chief Operating Officer
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- When the Going Gets Tough, Get Back to Basics - November 17, 2022
- Do You Thank Those Behind the Scene? - April 28, 2022
- Give a Wow Experience - April 7, 2022