As business owners, entrepreneurs or fully invested team Members, sometimes we’re so hyper-focused on our big goals that we DON’T stop to recognize what we’ve accomplished. How do you think about your goals? Do you think of them as overall successes or failures? Or do you think about the small wins along the way?
We’re always moving a mile a minute here at the Academy and we just wrapped our 25th Annual Spring Summit in Las Vegas – big goal accomplished! Every single person at the Academy has an impact on making the Summits memorable for our Members and we make time to recognize them! How? By taking one hour out of our day for a meeting where we laugh, reminisce about a job well done, but most importantly, we recognize all of the little and big wins that led to a successful conference. The tone of the meeting is light and celebratory with a touch of magic that I wish I could bottle up and share with all of you. Of course, we’re already back at our desks planning for the Fall Summit, but if we didn’t pause and share the fun moments, the creative ideas and the true admiration we have for one another, we would be missing out on one of the most satisfying and energizing meetings we have as a team! We would be missing out on the celebration of our wins – big and small.
You might be thinking, ok that’s nice, but how does this apply to me? First, start by identifying what you have done and all the ways you’ve moved the needle on projects or ideas to a point where YOU to see the impact. When you look at the little things, it creates the opportunity for you to operate from a place of gratitude. When you see your wins, you can enjoy them! You deserve it and you should pat yourself on the back and feel good about it! But if you are constantly focused on the next horizon, the big goal or whatever it is that you are trying to accomplish – you’ll never feel like you are getting anywhere and over time it will drain your energy without you even realizing it.
How do you enjoy the small wins? I urge you to try the following exercise:
- Stop. Take a deep breath.
- Think of the accomplishments you’ve had so far this calendar year. It’s almost June so you have five full months to think about and reflect upon.
- Don’t be overly critical, write down any thought that crosses your mind no matter how big or small. For example, did you stick to your calendar appointments? Did you make a lasting connection with a client? Did you finally close out a case or a project that lingered for far too long?
- Don’t just focus on your work life, think about your personal life as well – did you finally go on a hike you’ve wanted to do for months? Did you splurge and get that fancy thing you’ve been saving up to buy? Did you get out of the office and take a vacation?
Now that you’ve dumped all the thoughts from your brain. Read them. Now read them again. And again.
Celebrate your wins! Better yet, invite your team to do the same thing and share your wins together. Let us know how it goes!
Associate Director, Projects and Event Planning
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Taking the Windy City by Storm: Celebrating 30 Years of Transforming Lives - April 20, 2023
- Cracking the (Dress) Code - March 16, 2023
- A Simple Question - February 9, 2023