We talk a lot about what it means to be a great leader at the Academy – within our Academy team, with our Members, heck, even with our significant others, friends, and families. The concept of what it takes to be a great leader and role model for others in our company and what it means to be a stand for the success of our Members is an ever-evolving question and discussion. And it’s one I love to be a part of.
This concept is so important to us, in fact, it’s written right into our “code”. Want proof? Here’s a quick copy + paste of a few exact commitments from our team (yes, we have them all written out so we can reflect on them and remind ourselves of them when we need them most):
- We are proactive thinkers and problem-solvers – Bring possible solutions/ideas with issues that arise
- We identify the root of an issue or situation.
- We do not complain, but instead seek to create change where we see a need.
- We have constructive, respectful conversations with each other. We do not make each other wrong. We work to identify what went wrong (how the system broke down) and collaboratively come up with a creative solution and a way forward.
We spell leadership in terms of proactivity, critical thinking, problem solving, and supporting each other in learning and growing. Having these company mores not just stated, but written down in a place where everyone can refer back to them at any time creates a culture where our team has the freedom and ability to be a leader in the company, no matter what their job title is.
How many of you have your Mission, Vision, Values, WHY, and Engagement Standards (or any combination of those) in a shared place where your team can reflect on them? Are you setting your team up for success and allowing them to step into their own leadership role? Remember: leaders are not just those C-level team members. Everyone in your firm has an opportunity to be a leader in their own way.
What does it mean to be a leader in your firm?
Practice Building Consultant
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
Latest posts by Kathryn Adams (see all)
- Want to be a Great Leader? Start Here - September 14, 2018
- Details, Details: 8 Tips for a Stellar First Impression - August 10, 2018
- 3 Pro Tips For a 30-Day Challenge that Sticks - July 13, 2018