Even though humans have a 100% mortality rate, less than 30% of us make any end-of-life plans. What will get adults to discuss and plan for their eventual demise? How about putting some “fun” in funeral planning to get people to discuss this serious topic?
Before I Die festivals are part of a growing social movement to foster reflection about how we as individuals and as a society manage death and dying. By providing space and opportunities to openly discuss end-of-life issues, we can improve the percentage of those who plan ahead and take actions to address our mortality.
Before I Die festivals have drawn thousands to upbeat events in Cardiff, Wales (UK) in 2013 and 2014, and to Indianapolis, IN and Louisville, KY in 2016. Attendees participate in educational and entertaining activities such as field trips, art, movies, panel discussions, and Death Café conversations.
Before I Die festivals offer AAEPA law firms the opportunity to reach potential new clients and raise awareness of the importance of estate planning. In Albuquerque, New Mexico, AAEPA member firm Morris Hall is supporting the inaugural Before I Die ABQ festival October 20-25, 2017 as a creative way to raise the firm’s visibility and connect with the community.
As part of their support, this description of the firm will appear on the festival website, www.BeforeIDieABQ.com:
Everyone has someone or something to plan for. Providing our clients with proper estate planning ensures that life’s most difficult time is a little easier.
For over 40 years, the estate planning attorneys of Morris Hall (MH) have helped individuals and families prepare, secure and preserve their estates from depletion due to incapacity, probate and estate taxes. Morris Hall’s practice is specifically focused in estate and trust planning to offer a high level of attention to our clients and their legacies. We provide our clients with continuing support by offering complimentary trust reviews, complimentary family meetings as well as free educational and instructional seminars for our clients and their families.
Morris Hall is ranked in the top 5% of all US Law Firms by Martindal-Hubbel. Member of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys (AAEPA) and WealthCounsel.
The Before I Die ABQ Festival, to be held at numerous locations around Albuquerque, offers a host of low-cost and no-cost conversation-starting activities including:
- A panel of local funeral directors discussing “What You Need to Know Before You Go,” and a separate panel discussion on financial and legal issues with Morris Hall attorney Jim Plitz and other panelists.
- Daily Death Cafe discussions at various settings around town.
- A tour of historic Fairview cemetery, established in 1881.
- Panel discussion “Making Plans to Live Well Until We Die” on medical care and end-of-life issues.
- Yoga class “From Child Pose to Corpse Pose: Life, Death, Yoga and Spirituality.”
- Movie matinees at the Guild Theater, featuring The Seventh Seal and Harold and Maude.
- “Earth, Air, Fire & Water: A Celebration of Cremation and Art” with local artists selling their works in ceramics, paper and other media.
- Ghost tour of Downtown Albuquerque landmark buildings.
Between 500 to 1,000 people are expected to participate in these festival events. Learn more about Before I Die festivals at http://agoodgoodbye.com/upcoming-events/before-i-die-abq/ and watch this new video that describes the event: https://youtu.be/j_gqAg3FJrQ
If a Before I Die festival comes to your market, consider supporting this creative way to connect with local baby boomers and seniors on estate planning and end-of-life issues.
Gail Rubin, CT – author, speaker, journalist and death educator – connects with baby boomers using humor, funny films and a light touch on serious subjects. A Certified Thanatologist, her seminars on clearing clutter and organizing for end-of-life issues always get high marks! Download a free 50-point Executors Checklist featured in her latest book KICKING THE BUCKET LIST: 100 Downsizing and Organizing Things to Do Before You Die from www.AGoodGoodbye.com.
Academy Guest Blogger
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Join the Conversation at the Before I Die New Mexico Festival - July 22, 2021
- Why You Need to Revisit Estate Plans - June 24, 2021
- How to Start a Funeral Planning Conversation - May 27, 2021