Out of all of the pages on your law firm’s website, digital marketing experts agree that the About Us page is one of the most important. It often delivers the very first impression prospects have of your firm, so it’s safe to say that it’s vital to get it right. It’s probably also safe to say that your About Us page has gotten very little of your attention up until now.
Why is About Us So Important?
If you look at your monthly data from Google Analytics – and you should be! – you’re likely to find that, after your homepage, your About Us page is one of the most popular pages on your website. Visitors to your law firm website are looking for information. They want to know who you are and how you can help them, so it’s logical that they’ll look at the About Us page to learn more about you and your practice.
Many people have little or no experience searching for and hiring an attorney. To complicate matters, they may be searching during a very stressful time, such as after the death of a loved one or while in the middle of a divorce. Having a compelling About Us page where potential clients can learn about you and your firm allows these prospects to become familiar with you, form a connection, and makes it easier for them to reach out for help.
What Makes a Compelling Page?
- It’s Not About You. Believe it or not, your About Us page really shouldn’t be about you at all, but about your prospective client and what you can do for them. The About Us page is where you share what sets you apart from other law firms. Explain why people should do business with you. What benefits can you and your practice provide that your prospects will value?
- It Shows You’re Human. While you want to convey your authority and professionalism, sounding too professional on your “About Us” page results in stiff, boring copy, so go light on the legal jargon. Instead, tell your story – share how you came to practice the area of law you’re in and why you love it. Introduce your team by name, feature photos of them, show your personality, and humanize your brand.
I’m admittedly biased, but I think the Academy’s About Us page does an exceptional job of conveying our personality. The page introduces our founders, tells the story of how we came to be, communicates how we help attorneys start or grow a successful estate planning law practice, and even includes some great images of our happy Members.
- It Inspires Trust. By including testimonials, case results and awards, and other information about your past successes, your About Us page will demonstrate how you’ve provided solutions for others, encouraging prospects to believe you can do the same for them.
The Zimmer Law Firm does an excellent job of inspiring trust with their About Us page, starting with clearly sharing the founder’s vision for the firm and the firm’s values. The video testimonial from one of their clients who shared how the Zimmer Law helped protect them after a devastating accident is very moving and especially persuasive.
- It’s Visually Appealing. There’s a lot of truth to the saying “A picture is worth a thousand words,” so don’t think only in terms of killer copy when developing your About Us page; images and video are important too! Be sure to include images of your attorneys, so visitors have the sense of having met the person they’re entrusting with their business. These don’t have to be traditional headshots either – in fact, they’re more interesting if they’re not. Pictures taken at client events or in your work environment doing what you love are especially effective.
Video is one of the highlights on the About Us page of Mark S. Eghrari & Associates, PLLC. The page does a great job of communicating all of the benefits of working with the firm and certainly inspires trust by detailing what being a Member of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys means. But, the section on how important giving back to their community is to the firm and the inclusion of a video about the work being done at a local children’s hospital really defines what the law firm is all about.
An interesting About Us page can be the difference between a new website visitor converting into a client or clicking off your website to investigate your competition. What does your About Us Page say about you and your law firm?
Director, Web and Online Marketing Services
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (858) 453-2128
- Law Firm Marketing on LinkedIn - October 7, 2021
- Stop Googling Yourself and Start Accurately Measuring Your Online Marketing Success - September 2, 2021
- Video Marketing & Your Law Firm - August 5, 2021