I don’t know about you but having the time to keep up with news, informative articles, friends and family Members can turn into a full time job! Over the past couple of years I have made it a point to “like” magazines, newspapers and companies I admire on Facebook.
My Facebook newsfeed actually is a newsfeed. I get to enjoy the news of people, places and things important to me with a cup of coffee around 6am every morning. I spend about 45 minutes reading in complete silence as the sun starts to come up, before taking the dogs out for their morning hike and starting my workday. This may not work for some of you but it starts my day off feeling like I know where everything important to me stands. I have “liked” about 325 companies or publications on Facebook. I don’t read every article or listen to all of the posted videos, but each morning I read all the headlines and a great number of the articles and usually watch at least one short video.
Some of the best reading I get comes from liking the following pages:
- Wall Street Journal
- New York Times (the main paper, Opinions section and Food section — I love all of them!)
- Washington Post
- Fortune Magazine
- Fast Company
- Lean In — Sheryl Sandberg
- Direct Response Marketers like Ryan Deiss, Frank Kern, Joe Polish, Lewis Howes, Jon Acuff, Jeff Walker and several others
- Jimmy Fallon (I can’t stay up late enough to watch him so the video clips the next morning are perfect!)
- Travel & Leisure
- The Quarter Horse News
- Navy Times and U.S. Marine Corps pages
- Vanity Fair
- Ina Garten, The Pioneer Woman, Fine Cooking, David Lebovitz and several other cooking pages
- Harvard Business Review
- Knitting Club
- Local news television stations
- Various local restaurants
- All of our Members’ law firm pages
- Various theaters, spas and hotels I like to see offers for
- Vendors we work with
- InfusionSoft software and also Evernote
- Kahoots Pet Store
- Huffington Post is great!
- Travel Zoo
- Motivational and interesting speakers: Amy Cronise, Brendon Burchard, Michael Hyatt, Marianne Williamson, Dalai Lama and several others
- I like something from many of the places I’ve lived in the past: Photographers from Nebraska or South Carolina, Okinawa Typhoon Alerts, Huskers, Dan Cooke in Hawaii, etc. I get a nanosecond in the mornings to have a warm reminder of what these other places were like for me.
- 2-3 Irish Wolfhound pages… because… how could you NOT like those pages?
- Log Home Living
- Big Bear’s Grizzly News
- Mashable is fantastic
- San Diego Magazine
- Social Media Examiner
- Any company or business that a friend or relative has
- A few hundred friends and family…
What on earth did we do before we had the internet? I can’t even remember what life was like with encyclopedias instead of Google and forget Facebook or Twitter! We probably had to actually talk on the phone with people back then and even with the phone and television I wouldn’t have updates on as many friends, relatives and changes in the world that my existing 45 minutes a day gives me.
If you have some suggestions of other pages that I might love to wake up to, please share!
Chief Operating Officer
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555
- How Do You Spend Your Time? - May 18, 2023
- When the Going Gets Tough, Get Back to Basics - November 17, 2022
- Do You Thank Those Behind the Scene? - April 28, 2022