October is the best month of the year! I love the crispness of the air, the changing color of the leaves, the beginning of football season, pumpkin carving, celebrating my birthday, and of course, watching the best Halloween movie of all time— Hocus Pocus. As a Practice Building Consultant at the Academy, I also look forward to our annual Fall Summit in San Diego. Not only do I have all of these activities to look forward to each October, but I was also excited to discover that in 2008, the third week in October was officially deemed National Estate Planning Awareness Week! An entire week dedicated to promoting the awareness of estate planning and the importance of protecting one’s legacy.
Many people are unaware of the importance of estate planning and there tends to be a misconception that estate planning is only for the wealthy. But I say that’s a bunch of hocus-pocus! Estate planning is not just about protecting assets but it is also an important process in providing security for your family and loved ones.
As an estate planner, you have a momentous opportunity to reach out to the community and raise awareness during this special week. There are a ton of creative ways you can use this week to endorse your practice and inform your friends, family, clients and prospective clients on the importance of putting a plan in place. A few suggestions may be:
- Add an interesting post to your social media and Facebook pages
- Write a blog to post on your website
- Mention the week at your seminars and offer a special incentive
- Send an email campaign to your client base and professional contacts
- Send a press release to the media
- Set up an endorsed seminar in your community to honor the week
- Send a letter to prospective clients with a special offer to complete their estate planning
- Host an informational client seminar where clients can invite friends and family
- Plan a themed client appreciation event where friends and family can attend
- Include an article in your newsletter
- Brainstorm with your team to come up with other ideas!
National Estate Planning Awareness Week is a perfect excuse to connect with all of your friends and family in the community, as well as with all of your clients, prospective clients and professional contacts. Inform everyone YOU know to inform everyone THEY know about the importance of estate planning!
So as the leaves start changing and you are geared up for Halloween parties and pumpkin carving, remember to mark the third week in October on your marketing calendar as National Estate Planning Awareness Week.
Practice Building Consultant
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555