Hey there to my favorite blog readers! Happy Tuesday to each of you from your Girl Friday. I usually only show up on Fridays, so you know if I’m coming to you on a Tuesday, I have got some big news to share!
The entire Academy team is inviting you to join us on THURSDAY of this week for a special day of NO COMPLAINTS! Read the Team Announcement below and leave a comment on our Facebook Page about whether you’re up to it and how you do that day!!
Stay tuned Friday for a little tally on our results!!
Hey there Academy Team, and happy Tuesday to you all!
There has been some buzz around this photo that Jennifer sent out earlier this week:
And so begins our most recent challenge for which we will hold each other accountable. On Thursday, August 21, the Academy offices, instant message streams, email threads, water cooler conversations, and even our interactions outside the office will be a COMPLAINT FREE ZONE. Yes, for 24 hours, we will attempt the seemingly impossible feat of consciously refraining from complaining about anything at all. Here are the rules:
- The challenge lasts 24 hours. So yes, road rage counts as complaining. And so does venting about your spouse/dog/roommate/ill-fitting under garments/body aches/movie endings/weather patterns… you get the point. From the moment you wake on Thursday, August 21 through the moment you wake on Friday, August 22 (assuming we all rise and shine about the same time every day), your challenge is this:
- We will all be responsible for holding ourselves accountable for keeping track of each of our complaints for the day. Honesty is the best policy. Nobody likes a cheater. Cheaters never win.
- Not only should you keep track of how many times you let a complaint slip, but also keep track of what you complained about. It will prove to be a very interesting case to review after our 24 hour period is up.
- Yes, there will be prizes. And no, you don’t get to know what they are ahead of time. But they’ll be good. I know this because I’m choosing the prizes.
- Curmudgeons will not be tolerated. The Complaint Free Zone is intended to encourage us all to pause before letting a negative thought become a negative statement that affects others around us. Searching, snooping, prodding, and otherwise waiting around to hear someone complain is just as bad as complaining itself. Play nice. Play fair.
- Be prepared to do some talkin’ about what this day is like for you. During the Company Meeting on Friday, August 22, we’ll all get an opportunity to talk a little about what we took away from 24 hours of conscious non-complaining (I already cleared that part with Jennifer and she’s on board).
- Spend this day encouraging each other to think of a negative experience as a learning experience. As Jim Carrey said:
“I’m making a conscious choice to perceive challenges as something beneficial so I can deal with them in the most productive way.”
Thanks, all. I look forward to some positivity and FUN around here! If you have any questions for your Girl Friday, let me know! I love hearing from you!
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555
Latest posts by Kathryn Adams (see all)
- How Do You Create Your Why? - June 8, 2018
- Why Should Your Firm Use Client Engagement Standards? - May 18, 2018
- Love Them or… They’ll Leave You: 4 Reasons Clients Stick with Law Firms - May 11, 2018