Since being introduced in 2011, Google+ has been alternately viewed as either the social network destined to usurp Facebook or a dismal failure that few people use. In truth, the real value of Google+ may not be tied to its number of active users or the level of their engagement, but to its ability to influence Search Results.
Google indexes public Google+ posts for search, in much the same way it crawls and indexes regular web pages. Your Google+ page, profile image and recent posts are eligible to appear on the right-hand side of search results when relevant to a search. Relevant posts can also show up within search results for your page’s followers.
Following these simple strategies can help you develop the search authority of your Google+ pages and leverage this powerful social network.
1) Optimize Your Page
Your Page Name, Introduction, and Tagline seem to rank especially well on Google Search, so be sure they are filled out completely.
- Page Name – Should be the name of your firm
- Introduction – Include a keyword-rich description of your firm and its services
- Tagline – Use a sentence or phrase to describe your firm, again keeping keywords in mind
Also be sure to include your address, phone number, and a link to your website.
2) Build Connections
Your content is more likely to appear in a person’s search results if they’re connected to you on Google+. Therefore, building Circles of targeted prospects is important in order to have your content found.
- Add a link to your Google+ page to your homepage and blog
- Encourage clients, prospects, and colleagues to connect with you by including a link to your page in your email signature and on all other marketing materials
- Leverage your presence on other social media platforms to drive traffic to your Google+ content.
- Connect with industry experts and engage with them by commenting, +1-ing, and sharing their content.
3) Share Great Content
Google Search places a lot of emphasis on new content, so it’s important to update your page with fresh material as often as possible. Share your latest blog posts, videos, press releases, along with online reports, seminar invitations and even entire web pages. Providing original content is great, but sharing other people’s links and posts is also beneficial. You can add value to your posts by:
- Using hashtags to make your posts search-friendly
Just like Twitter, you can tag your Google+ posts. It’s a great way to get found — not only inside Google+, but in overall search results as well.
- Tagging people and brands in your posts
Like Facebook, Google+ enables you to tag people and brands in your posts. It can be an effective way to connect with people and draw their attention to your content.
- Format your post to attract attention by using these shortcuts
Google+ enables businesses to expand their online presence unlike any other social network. Developing a robust Google+ presence, enables you to directly affect the personalized search results of everyone in your network. It also gives you the ability to improve your search rankings, allowing you to be seen by even those not in your network or even on Google+. Surely, that’s worth some time and effort.
SEO and Social Media Manager
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555
Latest posts by Rita Chaires (see all)
- Selecting the Right Domain for Your Law Firm - August 15, 2019
- Is Your Law Firm Ready for the Next Change to Facebook? - July 4, 2019
- Google My Business (GMB) Posts & Your Law Firm - June 6, 2019