If you are planning on giving a presentation for Continuing Education (CE) or Continuing Legal Education (CLE), don’t forget to double check your to do list… before and after your presentation.
Most states require a 60-day timeframe for course approvals, however, some require 90 days. It’s best to go online for your state to see what their requirements are. This will depend on the designation you are submitting for CE or CLE. Here are some basic guidelines to submit for CE and CLE:
- Before Presentation
- Which designations are you submitting approval for
- Is your provider status current for each designation
- See if your state requires instructor approval
- Do you submit online or hardcopy
- Create a detailed outline for your presentation
- Complete course approval application
- Complete class schedule
- Prepare critique for presentation
- Items to Submit
- Instructor Bio
- Class schedule
- Required fees
- Approval Received
- See requirements (does approval need to be posted)
- Sign-in/out sheets
- Certificate of Attendance prepared (your certificate or state form)
- After Presentation
- Have attendee complete critique, collect as they sign out
- Complete certificate of attendance based on hours of attendance
- Submit attendance roster (online or hardcopy)
- Submit any fees associated with attendance reporting
- Mail attendee their Certificate of Attendance with reminder for them to keep the certificate in their CE/CLE file for their records
Make sure you keep a complete copy in your file for 3-5 years, depending on what your state requirements are. You will most likely be contacted by at least attendees who have misplaced a certificate, not to mention you can be audited any time by your State.
Donna Higgins has been working with the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys since 1999. She has spent most of that time working with the legal education department as well as qualifying Academy courses and Summit training sessions for CE and CLE throughout the country.
Executive Assistant / CE/CLE Administrator
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555