The social media revolution is in full swing, and it seems like everyone has joined in – from middle school kids to grandparents.
From a lawyer’s perspective, the pervasiveness of social media is great news. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and a host of other social media sites are proving to be excellent resources for professionals who want to connect with current and prospective clients. But jumping into the fray can be a little daunting at first.
One of the biggest challenges when you’re first venturing into the world of social media, particularly in your capacity as a professional, is to figure out what to talk about. Here are three tips to get you started:
- Social Media is Not the Place for Shameless Self Promotion. This isn’t a replacement for a yellow pages ad, nor is it a virtual billboard. Social media is about interacting with people – you’re stepping into an ongoing conversation. So, talk a little about yourself. Offer useful information. And then, listen to what other people are saying and respond to them. Remember, Social Media is much like a cocktail party where people interact on topics interesting to the small group. You would never intrude in one of those gatherings with an advertisement about yourself or your firm. Provide interesting information and they will naturally gravitate to you and be interested to learn more about what you do.
- Let People Know You Have a Life Outside the Office. You do have a life outside the office, don’t you? Good! Tell your clients a little about yourself, and let them get to know you as the well-rounded person you are. Are you an avid runner? Do you love to volunteer at your local animal shelter? Talk about it. Better still, go a step further and post pictures or video of yourself doing the things you love to do.
- Don’t Forget to Link. If you find an interesting article from someone else’s website, post the link. Remember, the purpose of social media is to start and maintain conversations. Similarly, when you talk about your law firm, be sure to post a link to your latest blog post or to an interesting article or video on your website.
If you’ve been a little shy about mixing social media with your professional life, maybe now is the time to try these tips and join the conversation.
President and Co-Founder
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
9444 Balboa Avenue, Suite 300
San Diego, California 92123
Phone: (800) 846-1555
- Google’s Keys to Building Effective Teams - June 6, 2016
- LegalZoom Files $10.5M Antitrust Suit Against North Carolina Bar, Cites SCOTUS Dental Case - July 24, 2015
- No Complaints Thursday - August 22, 2014