Are you a LinkedIn Lawyer?
We always endorse the idea of all of our Members connecting with professionals and groups so they can gain exposure with those in their field or geographic area. LinkedIn is a hotspot for professional connection. The Academy has created a group on LinkedIn (Legal Marketing and Practice Building Strategies) so we can connect and idea share with other interested attorneys, office managers and marketing coordinators at estate planning firms. Most Members of the Academy are connected with us, and many are joining the group we created.
Here are some great tips and thoughts to help you become a LinkedIn Lawyer:
1. Make sure your profile is “sexy” – It needs to include keywords that people would use to find you if they were using the search feature in LinkedIn or on Google. For example (see the italic keywords that may apply, create your own keywords similar to these):
“I have been protecting and helping families pass on their legacies and assets through quality estate planning services in the greater Chicago area for over 30 years. Pet planning and Asset protection has become our main focus. I’m also the co-author of the best-selling book, “Estate Planning for You,” and I enjoy providing Continued Education for financial advisors and local attorneys.”
2. Join Groups – Make sure you search out various groups that could have interesting discussions that provoke thought or keep you updated on the changes in this field. One such topic on the Academy’s group has been generating a lot of comments and ideas on “going paperless.” Who has done it, how long does it take, is it worth it, what glitches arise and does it take extra staff? Other groups may deal with Search Engine Optimization, Estate Planning Legal issues, Direct Marketing and other hot topics. By joining groups, you’ll get to know other professionals all over the country or perhaps just in your area.
3. The time you need to invest is actually minimal – It takes about 20 minutes to open an account. The emails sent to me with activity from the groups I’m in may take another 15 minutes per day to scan and see if I want to read more about any of the comments or topics that have been generating activity. If I don’t have time right now – the group threads are there forever, I can go in later and review them or contribute a comment (which puts YOU in front of the others in the group, giving you an opportunity to become known for your input.)
If you’re on LinkedIn – by all means, please join our group!
If you are not on LinkedIn, we do encourage you to open an account, watch how other lawyers participate in groups and become familiar with connecting with professionals using this tool. There are 100 million professionals currently on LinkedIn (Wikipedia). According to the 2010 Corporate Counsel New Media Engagement Survey, “Lawyers currently represent 1.5 million of the platform’s 50 million users”.
The issues discussed and the business referred through the connections on this social media site are absolutely worth the learning curve!
Director, Member Services
American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys, Inc.
6050 Santo Rd Ste 240
San Diego, CA 92124
Latest posts by Jennifer Price (see all)
- Christmas in June - May 23, 2019
- Hire Slow, Fire Fast is Only One of the Secrets to Building A Great Team - February 7, 2019
- Take a Peek into Our Boot Camp to Success - January 17, 2019